Tarp tents or camping tarps are easily the most after equipment by outdoor enthusiasts. Having your ultralight tent transforms your outdoor experience. You feel more in tune with your surroundings due to the natural open-air structure. These tarps use high standard materials to offer maximum protection, better than what you might get from a regular pop up tent.
Because there are numerous ways to set up a tarp, you can show off your strong DIY ultralight tent setup skills to your friends while enjoying versatile uses from your gear. Most outdoor enthusiasts want the full experience of feeling like they built their shelter. This is what a lightweight tent provides. Whether you’re a remote camper or backpacker, using a tarp instead of a traditional tent will significantly transform your outdoor experience.
The Top 5 Best Ultralight Tarp Selection
When embarking on an outdoor adventure, you don’t want to carry excess weight that slows you down. An ultralight tarp is an excellent choice for long-distance hikers and light backpackers. What should you consider before purchasing a tarp?
- Weight: the weight difference might not matter to you until you have to carry your tent on a long hike. Always go for minimum weight if you will be carrying your tent and not a vehicle.
- Space: because they try to cut down on weight, these tarps provide as little interior space as possible. If you need more interior space and capacity, opt for a tarp for 2 or 3 instead of a solo tarp.
- Price: although cost should not be your only consideration, have a budget for the tarp you want to buy. Good outdoor shelters should not cost you ridiculous sums.
- Protection: if your tent doesn’t provide adequate protection from wind, rain and snow, it is virtually useless. Choose a tent that offers maximum protection and shelter in a storm.
- Setup: it will take some practice to master tarp tent setup, but it becomes easy when you get the hang of it. A tent with ready to use parts will cut down setup time for you.
- Durability: because the material used in their manufacture is light, people expect tarps to be less durable than tents. However, this is not the case, as the light materials are fortified to be reliable. Adequate care will also ensure more prolonged use.
- Design: a good tarp design will be simple and yet beautiful. Make sure your choice has functional vestibule space, vents and storage.
Don’t just enter a store and pick up the first tarp you see, select something that will suit your needs and serve you well.
Foxelli Lightweight Camping Tarp
This versatile rain tarp from Foxelli is excellent for keeping you dry in the great outdoors. Made from durable ripstop polyester material, this tarp is very versatile. It is appropriate for camping, festivals, fishing, hiking, beach pastime or a relaxing day at the park.
If your environment is prone to big rains and massive storms, you want to have this sturdy waterproof tarp with you when you’re out camping. It comes complete with high-quality materials, and setup is pretty straightforward. The double stitching ensures this tarp is super durable.
- Four high-quality reflective guy lines.
- Two aluminium stakes.
- The double-stitched rain tent.
- Packable carrying bag.
- Fits easily into the carrying bag.
- Portable and easy to carry around.
- Easy to assemble.
- Superior waterproof capabilities.
- Not so big.
- Not super lightweight.
This is an excellent solo ultralight tent choice for campers who don’t plan to get wet. The water repellent tarp truly keeps you dry even in huge storms that last for hours. The entire package is easy to carry but not as lightweight as you might think. It is also not so big but is still an unbeatable buy for the price.
ENO – Eagles Nest Outfitters HouseFly Rain Tarp
The HouseFly rain tarp is a dependable travel partner that can serve as a two-person or solo ultralight tent. It offers excellent coverage from any storm, promising to keep you dry, warm and comfortable. This is a true waterproof fortress that can be paired with your hammock or used on its own.
This highly durable tarp will stand strong in any weather. It folds nicely to fit into your backpack for easy carrying. This tent is very well made and set up is super easy too. You can tie it directly to stones or nearby trees or use the ridgelines. The guy lines are reflective, an awesome quality for finding your way to camp at night.
- Storable, overlapping doors with useful buckles.
- Reflective ridgelines.
- Covers a large area.
- The doors allow you to control the amount of wind coming in.
- Easily fits into carrying bag for easier movement.
- Partially weak sides.
- Quite heavy for a tarp.
If you don’t mind the extra weight, this is a huge shelter that will provide maximum protection from the elements on your outdoors trip. This waterproof tent stands up to its name to keep you very dry. But make sure not to disturb the edges or water may begin to leak and ruin your trip.
Paria Outdoor Products Sanctuary SilTarp
This portable tarp from Paria is the ultimate two-person ultralight tent. There is so much room inside that you can stand at the ridge after setup. Talking about setup, all the materials provided make setting up a breeze.
This ultralightweight tarp is super roomy, very durable and the reflective guy ropes are amazing. The whole tarp is well made from quality material and promises ample protection from winds, rains and tough snow too.
- Reflective guy line.
- Six aluminium stakes.
- 6 line adjusters.
- Lightweight tarp.
- Easy to setup.
- Very roomy.
- Provides the ultimate dry protection.
- Everything you need in one small package.
- Stakes are a bit flimsy.
This is a fantastic option when you want to enjoy the outdoors with someone else. There is plenty of room, and the durable tarp holds up in bad weather. Although the stakes are very helpful, they are made quite flimsily. You must take care with them, or they could bend.
Outdoor Vitals Ultralight Tarp
This ultrathin, ultralight two-person tarp is excellent when you’re heading outdoors. It has a catenary cut design that keeps the tarp taut when hung securely. Whether you plan to use this ultralightweight tarp on the ground or with a hammock, you will have a happier outdoor experience with this choice in your sac.
This ultralight tarp from Outdoor Vitals is nothing short of advertisement. The extremely lightweight is made from strong and durable yet thin polyester material. It’s hard to complain about such a perfect tarp. Setup is very easy due to the hard-wearing, adjustable tie-outs. It is large enough to fit two people and is easy to carry around.
- Two high-quality aluminium stakes.
- Catenary cut edge design.
- Made with premium ultralight fabric material.
- Taped seams.
- Extremely lightweight and compact.
- Quick setup.
- Easily adjustable.
- Strong material doesn’t sag.
- Good-looking design.
- Cord locks could have been added.
There’s nothing better than being able to cut down on weight and save space when you’re going on an outdoors trip. This Outdoor Vitals Ultralight Tarp is a great two-person ultralight tent that lives up to its name. Outdoor Vitals could have added cord locks to make setup even easier, especially when cords are wet from the rain.
Aqua Quest Guide Tarp
The Aqua Quest Guide Tarp is very portable and durable. It is also lightweight for easy carrying. This simple looking tarp is strong enough to resist harsh rains and billowing winds without giving way. It is made from waterproof material to keep you dry but can begin to absorb water if it is not set up very taut.
Most lightweight tarps can be used in different ways, but this one is particularly versatile. Whether you’re hiking, fishing or camping, the many loops on every angle allows easy use in different situations. You can tie your tarp to stones, trees or use pegs to set it up from the ground. The reinforced stitching and taped seams provide extra protection from the elements to ensure you and your items stay dry all the time.
- Webbing hoops on every corner including the centre.
- Reinforced stitching.
- Made from ripstop fabric.
- Around 3lbs in weight.
- Very versatile.
- Very flexible.
- Stays taut to avoid water pooling.
- Material is susceptible to ripping.
- Absorbs water.
- Strange sizing.
This tarp may not be as extremely light as other options, but it is easy to carry around. The material is fragile, and users should be careful not to pull on it too harshly, or it may rip apart. Overall, it is a great quality versatile tarp and will hold up in any of its many uses.
If you’re still wondering if you need your camping tarp, check out the following benefits to see what you’ve been missing out on.
- Compact: since they are made with minimal material, they are easily foldable. The unique material makes for super easy packing so your precious space can be utilized for other things.
- Lightweight: this has to be the biggest benefit of tarps over tents. Most of them are made from minimal material and don’t have poles and extra fittings to increase the weight.
- Economical: prices of traditional tents have skyrocketed to the point that some cannot afford them. Tarps offer a great solution as they come in varying budgets.
- Spacious: get a tarp that is as spacious as you need it to be. Some even come with centre poles so they can be propped up to provide extra room.
- Shelter: the broad coverage of most tarps makes for a cosy shelter for multiple and lone users alike. You can take cover while you enjoy other activities as you wait for a storm to pass or provide extra privacy during your adventure.
- Not a fire hazard: a regular tent will be in the range of the sparks coming from your fire, but a tarp can be set to a high enough height to avoid this from happening. Eliminating fire hazards should be a top priority for you since making fires is a normal activity when you’re outdoors.
- Versatile: whether you’re using it as a groundsheet, canopy, luggage cover or regular tarp cover, your lightweight tarp covers different varied needs according to the user’s demands.
- Fun: you can set up your tarp to follow the shape of your environment or another need. They are so fun to use and present an interesting challenge with every trip.
There are many more reasons to get your tarp, but the few we have mentioned should get you going.
There are so many advantages of using a tarp that it doesn’t make sense not to own one as an outdoors enthusiast. With tarps, you can enjoy simplistic outdoor activities without fuss. Putting your DIY ultralight tent setup skills to the test is also a nice and fun way to enjoy your trip even more.
There are different brands offering many types, sizes and styles of tarps in the market. You should use this post as a guide to help you select the best fit for your personality and needs. You will be glad you did when you’re enjoying your tarp out in the wild.
To a lot of people, the freedom associated with using tarps represents the true meaning of participating in outdoor activities. Why not give it a go and get your ultralightweight tarp today?
Best Seller and Editor’s Choice