You should know by now that a machete is not just a random item that you can purchase as a part of your collection. It is one of the things that you need if you plan to survive outdoors. While it may not be as convenient as a knife, it can make some tasks so much easier. The Machetes for Survival is built in order to take a lot of use so you can use it for a long time and it would still be conducive for your different needs.
There are good reasons why you ought to purchase a machete:
- This can be effective in clearing bushes.
- They can help you build makeshift shelters easily.
- You can chop wood with it.
You just need to check some survival games and you will realize that whenever your character comes across a machete, it can do its tasks easier. This is how the machete can be used in real life too. It will allow you to do all of the things mentioned above and more.
- Fact Sheet – Best Machetes for Survival
- BUYER’S GUIDE
- Gerber Gator Machete Nylon Sheath
- Ontario Knife Co 1-18 Inch Military Machete
- Fiskars 18 Inch Machete Saw
- Gerber Gator Bolo Machete
- Jungle Master JM-031B Machete with Black Cord-Wrapped Handle
- Gerber Bear Grylls Parang Machete
- Tramontina Machete Wood Handle
- Whetstone Cutlery ‘The Brute’ Super Machete
- SOG SOGfari Kukri Machete MC11-N – Hardcased Black Rubber Handle and Nylon Sheath
- K EXCLUSIVE War Hunter Sawback Machete with Nylon Sheath
- Final Verdict
Fact Sheet – Best Machetes for Survival
Factors to Consider in Purchasing the Right Machete
If you plan to purchase the right machete which you think will best fit your needs, you have to know what will work best for you. There are just some of the factors you have to check:
- Your Purpose – Why do you need the machete? Are you going to use it for your own home? Are you going to use it to survive the urban jungle? Will it be used for protection? You need to know exactly what you are going to use it for. This will make eliminating and choosing the right machete easier to do.
- Blade Style – Not all machetes are made the same. These blades are meant for different purposes. Most machetes are made for rural use. You can just look at the blade and know. Choosing a blade style is usually subjective so check out your options and decide the one that will work best for you.
- Blade Length – There are some machetes that are below 11”. These machetes are ideal if you plan on bringing the machete with you on a trip. Longer machetes are harder to bring but will be able to clear areas very easily.
- Material of the Machete – A lot of machetes are made with carbon and stainless steel but there are also some that are made with unique blade materials. You may be tempted to check them out just to see what their differences are with the others.
- Handle – You need to know if you would have the ability to handle the machete easily. If not, then it will not be worth purchasing. The handles are usually tailored to fit the machetes that they are attached to. Gripping the machete in your hand will let you know for sure if it would work.
Now that you have learned the various factors that you need to consider when purchasing a machete, it is about time that you check how to pick the right machete that will best fit your different needs.
Gerber Gator Machete Nylon Sheath
This is a machete that comes with two blades. One side has a 15” blade while the other one has an 18” blade. This is made out of high-carbon stainless steel so it will not be a problem. This is best used for the wilderness but if you need a blade that you can use at your own backyard, this will be fun and easy to use.
- Made from Blade Steel – High Carbon steel
- Riveted, nylon sheath included
- Come in 18 inch blade features a full performance saw on one side
- Including 15 inch fine edge blade on the other
- Gator Grip overmold Handle Material
- Overall Length: 25.7 Inch
- Weight: 18 oz
- This is a machete that you can easily keep at home for personal use or for different tasks you need to do around the house.
- This can work well in getting rid of briars.
- This is very sleek because of the thin blades that will cut through some hard items like paper.
- It may get dented easily especially with heavy use.
- The blade is not as strong as it used to be.
Ontario Knife Co 1-18 Inch Military Machete
The brand is known to be one of the best brands to produce machetes. It creates products based on what the requirements are which means that you will get quality products that will last for a long time. This machete is made of high quality materials that will not disappoint especially when you put it to use.
- Made of 1095 Carbon Steel
- Blade is hardened to 50-55 HRC
- Molded plastic and riveted handle
- Overall length 24-Inch
- It is able to cut through bushes and small branches without any problems.
- Even if you use it for hours straight, the blade is extremely durable. It can withstand a lot of abuse and it will still be useful.
- This is known to last for years.
- The edge is dull when you receive it which means that you still need to sharpen it.
- The packaging may not protect it from outside elements that will make it dull and rusty.
Fiskars 18 Inch Machete Saw
This machete that comes with an 18-inch blade is one of the best ones that you will find in the market. It can be used to clear the debris when you are out in the wilderness or you can use it to clear other parts of your yard. You do not need to use both hands while handling this machete so your other hand can be used doing other tasks like picking up the pile cuttings so tasks can be done easier.
- 18 inch blade
- Tempered steel machete blade
- Lifetime warranty
- Ideal for clearing brush, cutting trails, stripping logs or felling small trees
- Made from Tempered steel machete blade
- This comes with a lifetime warranty.
- This is made out of tempered steel.
- This fits well in your hand and it can be used with ease.
- This does not come with a sheath which means that you will not be able to protect it.
- A lot of users are disappointed with the quality of the blade. They say that it can be better.
Gerber Gator Bolo Machete
This machete comes with a full tang construction which makes it the choice of a lot of users. This comes with a gator grip handle which makes it easy to use because you can grip it easily in the palm of your hands. This is actually made to resemble the bolo which is a tool used in the Philippines.
- Full tang construction bolo machete
- Amazing gator grip handle
- Safety and security lanyard
- Blade Length: 15.5 Inches
- Nylon Sheath included
- This is a well-made machete that does what it is expected to do.
- The size is good enough to be used at home or to be brought when you have a trip outdoors.
- This comes with a nice weight that will let you know that it is sturdy.
- The sheath is not so good but a separate sheath can be purchased to improve it.
- This does not have an edge when you get it and you need to fix it up according to your needs.
Jungle Master JM-031B Machete with Black Cord-Wrapped Handle
What makes this different from all the other machetes is its distinct blade shape. The blade is meant to reach its target easily so that you can clear out the area easily. The stainless steel that is used to create the machete comes from only one piece of steel so you can count on it being sturdy and strong compared to other machetes you will find in the market.
- 21-inch short machete
- Easy to maneuver
- Black stainless steel blade
- Heavy duty reverse serration
- Excellent grip with black cord-wrapped handle
- Includes durable nylon sheath for travel
- This is a well-made machete that is meant to last.
- This is very cool-looking.
- It has serrations that will make it useful when you want to use it as a saw.
- The sheath that come with the machete does not give it enough protection.
- The grip is not good for all people especially if you have large hands.
Gerber Bear Grylls Parang Machete
This modern-looking machete may be the one that will work best for people who need a machete whenever they go on wilderness trips. It has a heavy blade which can make clearing out certain areas of the jungle easy to do.
- Angled blade
- Robust high carbon steel blade
- Corrosion resistance and easy to sharpen
- Full tang construction
- Ergonomic textured rubber grip
- Lanyard cord enhancing grip security
- Comes with nylon sheath
- Comes with a carbon steel blade which means that it is stronger than the typical blade.
- This can be highly effective in getting rid of thick branches that are in the way no matter where you are.
- It will fit easily into your bag.
- You need to sharpen it first otherwise it will not be too useful.
- It may get dull immediately which means that you have to sharpen it often.
Tramontina Machete Wood Handle
Do you want to have a machete that looks like the traditional machete that you could have purchased years ago? This is very ideal for your different needs. This comes with a hardwood handle that will be nice to grip and use.
- Blade Length 18 Inch
- Natural Color Hardwood Handle
- High Carbon Steel Blade
- The moment that you hold it in your hands, you will know that the quality is good.
- This is a very affordable tool that will do what it needs to do.
- The weight is just right. You can use it for a long time without getting too tired because of its weight.
- The edge has to be sharpened a bit because it is a bit dull when you purchase it.
- You need to do extra modifications in order to be completely satisfied with this product.
Whetstone Cutlery ‘The Brute’ Super Machete
This is known to be one of the best machetes made by the company. This is known to be a heavy-duty machete that is useful for survival. If you are going to use this in the jungle, you will be able to clear your area easily.
- Stainless Steel Saw Back Rope Cutter
- Length: 13.75 inches
- Pakkawood Handle
- Slot for Additional Straps
- Nylon Carrying Case including Belt Loop and Button Closures
- This has an extra grip area that will allow you to hold it in the palm of your hands with no problems.
- This is stiff enough to do what it is meant to do.
- This is a very sturdy product that is expected to be used for a long time.
- This is very heavy especially when you need to use this for a long time.
- The handle of the machete can become too slippery at times.
SOG SOGfari Kukri Machete MC11-N – Hardcased Black Rubber Handle and Nylon Sheath
If you are looking for a machete that you will not be disappointed to use, this is the one that you are searching for. You should not wonder whether you need a machete. What you need to know is how you are going to choose the right size that will work best for you.
- Clear trails and brush
- 12-inch high carbon steel blade
- Come with saw back
- Kraton rubber handle
- Nylon Sheath Included
- Overall length: 18.0-inches
- Weight: 15.0 ounces
- Lifetime Warranty
- This is inexpensive and can be used well for your various needs.
- You can easily sharpen the edge of the tools with no issue.
- This is one of the best looking machetes that you will find in the market.
- This is not as sharp as you would like right out of the box.
- The blade is thin.
K EXCLUSIVE War Hunter Sawback Machete with Nylon Sheath
This sawback machete is known to have the ability to handle various tasks that you may need whether you are going to use it in the wilderness or you just want to use it to clear your own backyard. The 17” blade is sharp enough that it can do tasks easily.
- Potent sawback machete
- 17″ full tang stainless steel blade
- Corrosion resistant with black blade finish
- Pakkawood handle inserts
- Black nylon sheath Included
- The blade is corrosion resistant so even if it gets exposed to various weather elements, it will still work.
- Comes with a steel guard.
- Black blade finish that makes this machete look classier than its counterparts.
- It may not be able to withstand hard branches.
- You need to sharpen this first before using to get the best results.
All of the machetes that are mentioned above are important and will be useful for you depending on your needs. Some may be more useful than others so you have to decide on the best one to pick. Some machetes will be able to withstand use more than others. There are still more machetes in the market but the ones above are the best ones to try.